Sunday 13 September 2009

Week 2

OK, I have clearly taxed my internet acumen (if that is even a phrase) and I realize that I am a MAC snob. I have newly added 3 pictures..we have dozens, but why only 3..well after about an hour of futzing around with this laptop(not a MAC) I have gone nearly insane with my inability to click and drag to the location of my choosing! So before I lose my writing mojo, I thought I would abandon for a brief update on our week and as promised...food!

School began and we started to see some sense of normalcy. After school we go to the library, do home work, use their internet and printer since ours is slow and the printer isn't here yet, come home and attempt dinner. The boys seem to be settling in nicely and like their teachers and classes seem on par with what they were doing at St. John. Nick already had a book report and Matthew is working through his times tables. Both are doing Mad Minutes. Bridget had a fun week following around a fellow student(Danielle) and on Wednesday had some testing to see which group she would be in. So far in Math and Science, it is all stuff she has done before so we shall see what happens. She likes her Science teacher and used a Bunsen burner for the first time! She also had French, graphics, Art, Comparative religion, PE(where of course she smoked everyone in the "how many laps can you run in 10 minutes"), Geography in addition to English, Math and Science. The schedule changes each day and we are eager to see where she end up. She likes the girls and now walks to school with a girl down the street.

My adventures have been in the grocery store. Again, as I have said we are still urban camping and we are pulling off dinners with 1 knife, 1 pot and 1 saute pan. This is no small feat. Move over Julia/Julie...I dare you to try this. Again, like the driving, I have taken some risks and put together "Pork Involtini with late summer tomato sauce", "Gorgeous Roasted Vegetable Curry" and a "Stir-Fry chicken with honey,soy and cashews". Thanks to Jamie Oliver, Sainsbury's free cookbook and the Waitrose grocery store! By Friday we had pizza.

You may ask why take on such projects? Well, all the usual foods and things I cook I can't find in the grocery store and we don't have a grill and remember that 1 pot problem. Things I can't find...Black beans,salsa, refried beans, kidney beans, you know where I am going..try to make a simple chili but to no avail. I have tried 3 different chains of stores, my last hope is the ASDA which Frank tells me specializes in canned foods..who knew? Other odd things I can't find; steak..for grilling and such, you know flank steak, flat iron steak, skirt steak..all perfect for fajitas, or just plain. I can find any number of roasts and "braising meat" which I am told is for stews and such, but no quick easy steaks. Hot dogs...again 3 stores, I found 1 that had something akin to a European style weiner, but otherwise it is sausages. This has had an interesting effect as right before we left Nick had decided to add hot dogs to his repertoire. When he ordered one at one of our outings and I saw the sausage come out, I held my breathe, but since we have been walking many miles a day, starvation wins out and it wasn't until the last bite that he commented "a little spicier that our hot dogs at home". Soy sauce, it took be about an hour in 1 store to finally find it, odd since this area is known for its Korean markets and restaurants. Chicken broth...I can find the little cubes to make it, but none in cans or boxes.

On the things I can find and don't know what to do with: LAMB..everywhere, lamb chops, roasts, legs, tongue, you name it . At the Costco there is a whole section dedicated to Lamb! Aubergines..I have seen this in several recipes, they are eggplant..many of you are laughing at my lack of French I am sure! Courgette....zucchini..again, I look at the pictures, look at the names and then hunt through the store and say..OOOOhhh that's what it is. Peas..they are served with everything, I never knew how little I ate peas until they turn up everywhere. and of course, pies..all sorts of meat pies..this week I am even going to attempt to make one....hey it's all in 1 pot right??

On the things that we've found and we most certainly know what to do with: Bacon..in all sorts of formats, thick, thin, smoked, cured, maple, bacon steaks..bacon sandwiches are a staple for breakfast and lunches at all the shops we seen. Cheese..oh my, I should have had my cholesterol checked before we left to compare, but ooooohhh the cheese in all shapes and sizes and origins throughout the UK..so far nothing has been anything but delicious . Cream and milk products of all sorts..yogurt, butter, and double cream...in coffee in the morning is a decadence beyond compare!

On that note, Frank has been diligently cooking in the background while I work away. Tonight is roasted turkey breast, roasted potatoes and green beans, in case you were wondering. I will go and enjoy before the next week begins. Next weeks installment..who knows..so many options....



Missing everyone, write us soon and of course, we'd love a visit!

4 comments:

  1. can't stop laughing at the lack of canned foods. we actually found the one store that had refried beans and bought their entire stock (4 cans). have to say they were some of the best beans i had ever had. i actually had better luck online (waitrose.com) finding things to be delivered. Big kisses to everyone - totally miss you. plus i think i have a fracture in my foot and no one will give me any sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No beans? No salsa? Wow, Lucy would starve. :) You should write a survival guide. This is fantastic reading! Everyone looks great. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As G said, Lucy would starve. We were so fortunate when we visited England & Scotland in 1989 that Jennifer had spent a year in college there, so we had our own tour guide. She and other American students put together an American Thanksgiving, and I sent cranberries and poultry seasoning so they could have stuffing, and ingredients for pumpkin pie.

    Loved the pix of the kids in their sweaters. Hugs to all of you from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, guys!!!!! So good to hear from you. They were outstanding reports. Dave wants to know if you have to peddle your bikes backwards as a result of driving on the wrong side of the road?Your house looks great, especially the two lions outfront. One does look a little fiercer than the other one - but it seems that they will probably not turn green like other statues have. LOOK OUT FOR PIDGEONS though!!!
    We have just returned from a week at the Oregon cottage where we had a wonderful time. Aunt Gertie from LA joined us and beat our pants off at Ace to Kings! While I (DEB) am typing this message, mom is sitting and looking over my shoulder very intently, dad is sitting behind her, and Dave has stretched out on their futon.

    ReplyDelete